Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Green beans

Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and that made me consider all the traditional dishes that go with that meal. Most of them are high in fat, sodium, sugar and calories and are not good for us.
For example the green bean casserole, traditionally made with canned cream of mushroom soup and topped with french fried onions. High in sodium and full of ingredients I cannot pronounce, let alone know what they are - mostly likely not anything that was meant to be consumed..

When I think of green beans, it takes me back to Sunday dinners at my grandmother's: boiled potatoes, simmered flank steak in clear gravy and green beans with bacon, all made from scratch of course.




Here is how I make her green beans:

- 4-6 rashers of bacon, chopped
- 1/4 cup of diced onion (optional)
- 4 cups of fresh green beans, washed and the ends trimmed
- dash of black pepper

Fry the bacon and onions till the bacon is almost crispy
Add the beans and pepper, stir fry till parts start to brown
Add 1/3 cup of water
Cover and let simmer for about 7 minutes or till the beans are done how you like them (I like mine al dente)

This makes a great substitute for the traditional Thanksgiving dish. Add some sweet potatoes and turkey - enjoy!





No comments:

Post a Comment